Backyard Harvest is seeking land in Strathcona neighbourhood of Hamilton (Queen Street to Highway 403, York Boulevard to King Street West).
We currently operate twelve garden plots: eleven in backyards in the Strathcona, North End, and Kirkendall neighbourhoods, and one at the Sisters of St. Joseph Convent in Dundas.
Backyard Harvest Site Requirements
- 1500 sq. feet or more of shade-free and tree root-free land
- access to a water tap
- minimum five-year commitment
- no pesticide or herbicide use on the property
- Backyard Harvest will amend the soil, plant each year, tend and harvest the crops
- Rather than growing grass you need to cut weekly, an abundant edible crop will grow on your land
- extra set of eyes and hands on your property
- Each week, the landowner is invited to come to our stand at the Locke St. Farmers’ Market and receive a bag of our produce, regardless of whether it was grown on their property or another's